Sunday, September 29, 2013

White Bread and Plum Custard Tart



This is what I did last night. I picked up a whole lot of plums from Costco, and I've been trying to find ways to use them. This, again a Martha recipe, was what I chose. It is a simple partially baked tart shell filled with the plums, which are then partially baked within, and topped with a custard. The whole thing is put back into the oven until the custard sets and voila! The custard is flavoured with brandy and has flour to prevent curdling and to give it a slightly more cakey texture.



The bread is one of my standby recipes from Dorie Greenspan's Baking with Julia. It is a butter enriched dough, and makes absolutely divine toast. The King Arthur bread flour gives it a lovely chewy texture while maintaining a fine crumb. This time I did a messy job forming the loaves, thus the imperfect grain. If you watch that the dough doesn't rise too long the bread has no yeasty qualities, but instead a sweet nutty flavour from the wheat and butter. I had two slices this morning with homemade red currant jam and my Earl Grey tea.


No comments: