Thursday, September 19, 2013

Biscotti Macine



I recently came home from a three month adventure in Italy. I spent one month working on a farm where, every morning, I had a bowl of tea and two or three of these little barely sweet and crunchy cookies. At Fattoria L'Aurora, the wonderful farm where I worked, the cookies were purchased. But, in Alaska we don't get Macine, so it was up to me to make them. I found an excellent Italian recipe online. I have translated it here, but I have not converted the measurements to volumetric. I personally prefer going by weight.

 I just hope I can go back and work with my new friends on the farm again soon! Although my morning routine is much the same in Alaska, the cookies taste far better when eaten in Fabbrica Curone, at the Fattoria, with kind intelligent people, and a day of hard work ahead.

I hope you enjoy these lovely tea biscuits as much as I do.



Ingredients:

485 grams “00″ flour, or all purpose flour
200 g granulated sugar
200 g softened unsalted butter
65 g cornstarch
85 g whole egg
40 g heavy cream
20 g glucose syrup, light corn syrup, or a light honey such as acacia
2 g salt
4 g baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract


1. Cream the butter, sugar, and syrup. Next add the egg, cream, salt, and vanilla. Beat until they become smooth and creamy.
2. Sift together the flour, cornstarch, and baking powder. 
3. Mix them together until they come together and form a smooth dough. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. 
4. Roll out the chilled dough until it is 1 cm thick. Cut it out into these doughnut shapes. they should be about 4 cm in diameter. Gather the scraps and keep rolling and cutting cookies until all the dough is used. Transfer them to a lined and insulated cookie sheet.
5. Bake for around 15 minutes at 320ºF or 160ºC. The cookies should be dried and a uniform light gold. Not browned. 

This recipe makes about 30 cookies. 

No comments: