Sunday, February 12, 2012

French Apple Tart


I made this beautiful tart! I can't believe it! This is the first of many amazing things I've made from the Baking with Julia cookbook. The apples and crust of this tart are baked separately, it is then topped with thinly sliced apples, dusted with egg whites and sugar, and baked until golden.

It begins with a simple unsweetened pie crust. The fact that the crust had salt and no sugar worried me, but it actually was delicious with the taste of the apples. I then cut up seven or so apples, and tossed them with sugar, a pinch of cinnamon, 1/2 cup of breadcrumbs (I used a slice of homemade brioche), and some flour. I baked them on a jellyroll pan until they were soft, let them cool a little, and mashed them lightly leaving some lumpy texture. Once the filling and separately baked crust were completely cooled I filled the crust. Then I covered the filling with very thinly sliced apples, and baked the tart until it was golden and irresistible.

I think this gives you the idea without giving out the recipe directly from the book. I'm sorry if it gets frustrating that I'm not posting actual recipes, but I'm having so much fun with this book! I just cannot stop. Plus, the pictures are soooo pretty!

No comments: