Monday, February 13, 2012

Everyday Crepes


Ah, home food! Ain't I a lucky duck?! I grew up with this for breakfast. Light crepes with not-too-sweet mixed berries (or rosewater infused fresh strawberries in the summer), soft peaks of whipping cream, and a drizzle of real maple syrup. It actually doesn't take that long; you can do most of the prep the evening before if you want to. I make this when I don't know what else to make. You don't need to have much in the house, and if you're missing a component, it is no big deal. My father and I are both fans of crepes with nothing on them but loads of maple syrup!

Ingredients:

2 cups of all-purpose flour
2 1/2 cups of milk
4 eggs
1/4 cup vegetable oil or melted butter
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon of vanilla

Berries, Fruit, Whipped cream (homemade please!), and syrup (no Madame Butterfat's please!)

1. Put all of the ingredients in a blender and whirr away! It will be filled to the top so if you need to, stir in the last 1/2 cup of milk at the end so you don't splatter. At this point the batter can be refrigerated overnight. It is actually better if you let it. But, if you're anything like me, and don't plan your breakfasts too well, it can be used right away too.

2. Heat a large pan on medium low heat. I like using a nonstick pan and wiping a little oil on it. Once the pan is hot, pour some of the batter in the pan and swirl it around until it makes a thin film. It should cook until it is no longer wet, and with a little unsticking of the edges, it can be lifted off of the pan. The bottom can be white to slightly browned, it is up to you. I don't like mine to brown. If you want to flip them you may. I don't usually find it necessary.

Now comes the fun. My mom likes the fillings rolled in her crepes; I like them on top. We often have frozen mixed berries at hand for smoothies. I will either let them thaw in the fridge overnight, or I'll put them in a pan with a spoonful of sugar and make a little sauce. Sliced strawberries with sugar and a splash of rosewater are also amazing with these. For a last minute breakfast, these can be very exciting.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Another good recipe is:

1 tbs oil
1 1/2 cup milk
1 cup flour
3 eggs

Blend and cook! This is a little eggier which I like.