Friday, January 6, 2012

A New Year's Thanksgiving

Since it is now 2012, and I've been wanting to begin this blog since October, I might as well begin with 2011's Thanksgiving. I'm mad about the 1940's and '50's. I love old movies, vintage fashion, swing and rockabilly music and culture, and especially the femininity, skills, and quiet power of the housewife (think June Cleaver, Donna Reed, any lady who felt the need to iron in heels). I hope you enjoy!

Well that's done. I've been dreading writing that opening "who am I" paragraph. They can never fully capture a person or their passions. This past Thanksgiving I made a whole lot of food. It took three days. I'm posting some photos of food along with some of my recipies. I'm still building up my kitchen, so my plates don't match, and the kitchen is a little shabby, but the food was great and we all had an excellent time!

My Mama's Plate

I made mashed yams with a little bit of evaporated milk and salt. I'm not a big marshmallow fan so I don't like the traditional casserole, but I do love yams! I also made some delicious Dinner Rolls.

My boyfriend's sister Jacqueline made the cranberry sauce, some of the pies, and a salad, which is what I made most in the past. At first I was worried, but then I realized that with Jackie making those things it gave me time to try something new and different. She is excellent in the kitchen and what she made was wonderful. We both like a tarter cranberry sauces, we also added pomegranate seeds to it right before it was served. They added some sweetness, texture, and little bursts of juice. It was delicious!

Instead of a green bean casserole I gently sauteed the green beans in a little bit of the Poultry Stock I made. Cooking them this way instead of in a casserole allowed me to have more control over their doneness. I don't know anyone who likes squishy green beans! I then topped them with a homemade Mushroom Cream Sauce. They were a hit.

I boiled some mixed baby potatoes with salt and rosemary. I mashed some of them (removing the purple ones), and some of them I left whole. I made a simple gravy with the turkey drippings, stock, some cornstarch, and some cream. Finally, I made the Roasted Turkey.

For dessert we had Jackie's pumpkin and pecan pies and my homemade Cooked Eggnog, and my boyfriend Adam's Mulled Apple Cider.

My friend Jessica has a whole lot of allergies; she joined us for Thanksgiving. I decided to make her a meal that she could eat, one that was Thanksgiving without the use of: turkey, potatoes, gluten, dairy, garlic, cloves, and many other things. This is what I came up with:

My Friend Jessica's Plate
It isn't so shabby, right?! I made her: a roast chicken instead of turkey, steamed green beans, baked yams, and Mashed Cauliflower with fresh thyme, sage, and olive oil;  For dessert she had a Jess-friendly Wheat/Gluten/Dairy Free Pumpkin Pie, vegan Thumbprint Cookies, and Almond Cooked Eggnog. She seemed pretty delighted, her cauliflower and eggnog was arguably more delicious than ours, and we ate most of her cookies.

I've decided to post the recipes from the evening as individual posts so they will be easier to find. I linked them within this piece.

No comments: